Most of our softshell jackets and trousers have a Durable Water Repellent coating (DWR) that helps repel water when that unexpected shower comes over you. Regular washing helps maintain the DWR for longer lasting performance.
5 Steps to washing your softshell jacket:
- Preferably rinse your washing machine out before use. This clears any detergent and softeners left inside that might damage the fabrics and DWR coating.
- Close all the zips, pockets and hook & loop fastenings.
- Use a technical cleaner such as Nikwax Tech Wash. If not then a non-biological liquid detergent, pure soap will do.
- Machine Wash on a gentle, cool setting. 30ºC is great for both your jacket and the environment.
- Tumble dry your garment on a low heat setting to help restore the loft and maintain the DWR treatment after washing.
- Use biological detergent and fabric softeners.
- Do not dry clean or iron the garment.
Need to reproof?
Over time, the DWR does wear down. When you notice the outer fabric is soaking up water, it's time to revitalise your jacket or trousers. We recommend Nikwax TX Direct or Granger's Performance Repel Plus. The spray-on is best.
Reproofing your waterproofs